Saturday, July 21, 2012

Two Weeks To Go

The view from the home office is far better than the one from the portakabins at the day job

Definitely at the tail end of the countdown now. Really excited at the prospects both in the UK/EU and overseas and it's definitely looking like I'm doing this at the right time.


Decided to have a full-on geeko™ and architectural review weekend and just sorted out a WCF service to simulate an endpoint for clients to consume. Seems like ditching XMLSOAP and creating TCP endpoints for SOA would be a good way forward, using MVC to generate the JSON for any client-side / async calls. Should separate concerns more fully and seems far, far easier than good old WebForms.

After looking at the performance model, I'm not impressed with Entity Framework, but.... the aim here isn't the kind of performance needed back at my last job. This application will never have to deal with 10k-25k transactions per second. Pushing prototypes out on a relatively small time-box is, so RAD is the acronym of the day. I covered a small performance topic area in an earlier post which I'm sure I'll extend over coming months.

LINQ to entities is quite nice, although suspicious at first it seems to hang together well - VS 2010 Ultimate is amazing, the debug & trace tools are immensely useful - moving between stack frames whilst trying to debug multiple threads is such a time saver.

Also taking a look at AMD for some of the more complex web-focused implementation. It goes way further than anything we have available to us in the framework as-is and potentially cuts the payload right down. We'll see.

Although the day has been focused on newer technologies I found an old one. With online movie rentals, Sky Movies and music services I didn't realise that I've not bought any Blu Rays in ages - never mind DVD's or CD's...Until I accidentally hit the open button on the hi-fi this morning. Obviously hasn't been used in over a year....