Thursday, July 19, 2012

Outstanding Performance

I was stood outside a branch of [well-known high-street bank] this morning, waiting for my appointment with their business advisor.

As I walked up the steps five minutes before official opening time I noticed a guy in a high-vis [insert name of telecomms firm here] jacket tapping on the glass doors. He looked pretty annoyed and I didn't know what to expect but he simply shrugs at me and says, "I'm just here to fix the alarm line."

Er. Ok. So. What?

I wasn't sure whether he meant what I thought he meant so asked him. Apparently he was actually there to fix the comms line for the branch alarm. No kidding. The staff in the branch just looked up for a moment when he tapped on the glass door, then got on with their work.

They called him to fix an urgent problem but left him on the doorstep for 30 mins.

He was the alarm guy. This isn't Gotham City or anything, this is a backwater town in the West Midlands.

I'd phoned one of this banks competitors two weeks ago (Natwest), and even dropped into one of their branches when they hadn't got back to me. I still haven't heard from them.

All the fun & games you've read about in the news that financiers and brokes were / are [allegedly] having here in the UK and you literally can't give your money away. And even if you could they couldn't store it securely.

I look nothing like this
I picked the wrong month to quit smoking.