Thursday, July 12, 2012

See What You Can Do

Joined o2 as a business customer yesterday around 1pm.


o2 started having major network issues yesterday around 1pm.

I ended up missing calls from agents, prospective clients and Audi. As well as the customer forums and support pages timing out the customer service line was busy all night....Then they seemed to clock off at 9pm. I think we're all expecting a kick-ass apology.

Let's see what they can do.


Update 13th July

Phoned o2 business support (which seems to be the same as their regular support number) only to be told that the complaints department cannot be connected to directly. They don't have a phone number. It says a lot about a company if you can't directly speak to the complaints teams.

The woman taking my call told me she couldn't do anything to help me even after I asked what sort of compensation I could expect for the loss of phone and data connectivity for 24 hours. She also mentioned that the complaints team would be evaluating the level of compensation across all the complaints they're receiving.

She simply said that there was nothing she could do - I pointed out the level of support I used to get on Vodafone and the rough potential loss of earnings figure from just one day.... She then offered me a free months line rental. £17.50. I can understand her position and it's not her fault - there really is nothing she can do directly, and she'll have had many difficult conversations in the last 48 hours.

I just asked who I'd have to speak to in order to get my PAC code - I haven't put a nicotine patch on yet this morning but after I do that, I'm going to have a think about going back to the reliability and network coverage of Vodafone.

It's not just the problems with the network, it's the way that they've apparently dealt with their customers at o2 that really annoys me.

Update 19th July

Nicotine patch helped. This whole o2 situation is a one-off, I should know better as someone who works in a high-availability, high-pressure and low latency environment how difficult the job is start with.

The response from the complaints team was fairly defensive but neutral, which is to be expected - although hiding behind reasonable service clauses in the T's and C's is likely to annoy many customers.