Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Great scott, Marty!

I handed my notice in yesterday in what will be the biggest career change I've experienced in my short career.

When you take an objective view of any situation you're involved in and realise that nothing about that situation benefits any of your own goals or objectives, sometimes you come to the conclusion that it's just not worth doing.

The time I've had at this company has been a huge benefit - I've learnt so much about so many subjects and had the chance to work with the most highly skilled group of people I've ever met, but from this point I'm not going to learn anything new and there's virtually no opportunity to progress career or add to my achievements.

It's not as if there's any animosity or resentment either, if I can I aim to ensure my departure is a blip rather than a bump and that there's adequate continuity.

It boils down to time - I can't get to my long term goals without time spent with the latest technologies on my resume, and potential employers aren't interested in talking to someone with the length of notice clause I have in my contract. I need to apply my core experience to more specific areas in commonplace use. Some of the clauses in the contract prohibit particular blog topics too so it'll be akin to being set free in some respects (I won't miss being permanently on call either :) ).

When I was in Alberta earlier this year, the guy organising the NHL trip to Saddledome spoke about his motivations and experiences in setting up his own business. Struck me that it's (whatever "it" may be for each of us) a lot easier than we think or fear.

The Axiom Of Larry: "Make it happen".

I've also quit smoking with the help of the local quit clinic. So really, it's all about time and travel.

1.21 Gigawatts