Friday, May 11, 2012

Bogus Chroot

I saw the posts about the Google Chromium OS earlier this year and thought I'd take a look. An OS orientated around the old thin client principals perhaps?

From a personal interest level I thought I'd have a crack at compiling the source code myself and seeing what's involved so got the latest Ubuntu running on a VirtualBox VM and started having a play.

That was four weeks ago, and I've been distracted with tinkering on Mono and Java since. Linux has come a long way since I last used it back in around 2005 and I'm pretty rusty! Managed to follow the build instructions all the way to the point of actual build but then get a message that I have no idea about.

"Warning: Possible bogus chroot detected"

Maybe I should have just downloaded the redist and been content with that but for now, converting some of my own-time projects in .NET 4 to Java and Mono will keep me out of mischief. I quite like the Ubuntu environment: if you're a Microsoft-er with a familiarity with C# & PowerShell and have never used linux before you'll pick it up pretty quickly.

It's interesting to have a look over the technology fence and see how the Jones' have been doing lately, but I don't think I'd want to move (they're more than welcome to come over for dinner though).