Monday, September 30, 2019

iProfile / Vertifi / Jobzooma at it **AGAIN**??? (Updated)

Updated 23rd November 2019; Originally posted 30th September 2019

Amazingly the Jobzooma team are still at it.

After tendering some applications for contracts earlier today I had an email from our old friends Jobzooma. I can find no trace of any connection between the potential clients I emailed or how they acquired my details, yet somehow I've sent them my CV???

Yeh but no
This isn't how to deal with consent - there's no opt-in, there's no request about whether I've asked for it. The email asks you to click a link to verify that they have the right data, which I'm absolutely not going to click. That could be interpreted as explicit consent for them to continue storing my data - I've never done any business with them!

Have sent chaser email but be warned - they're still at it. If you read the previously linked scam alert you'll realise why you're better off avoiding altogether.

I've asked them where and how they got the alleged CV and they've acknowledged receipt of the request. Will update when I have more but on the face of it appears to breach PECR and DPA 2018 [inc. GDPR 2018].

It's no good asking for consent after you've already acquired, stored and processed the data.

Updates

I finally received a response from ICO, in which they stated that:

"We have considered the information available in relation to this complaint and we are of the view that Jobzooma has not complied with their Data Protection obligations. This is because you did not receive an appropriate response to the data protection concerns you raised. We consider this to be an infringement of the legislation.

Subsequently, we have written to Jobzooma, via the Data Protection Officer, to explain that we expect the organisation to review your complaint and take action to resolve any outstanding matters.

We have issued guidance to Jobzooma as a result of your complaint and expect they will be in contact with you in due course. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

This complaint will be kept on file and this will help us over time to build a picture of Jobzooma’s information rights practices.  We keep a record of all the complaints raised with us about the way organisations process personal information.  The information we gather from complaints may form the basis for action in the future where appropriate.
"

I wasn't happy with this response because it isn't a strong enough message for a repeat offender, and also I've recieved no responses from Jobzooma at all. I asked the case officer to look into further evidence I provided, and examine the linkages evidenced between Vertifi, Talent Spa and Jobzooma.

I asked the case officer to then review the outcome and proceed with a publishable decision, so that Jobzooma would be the target of ICO enforcement should they offend again.

That reply to the ICO case officer was sent on 4th November 2019, and I have not yet received a response, other than the auto-acknowledgement.

However it is good to see ICO confirming my suspicions that Jobzooma are / were acting unlawfully.

I've noted further updates in November 2019 on the scam alert post on the portal.