Saturday, May 21, 2016

Q1 Review

Miami winning 5-4 in the championship series...but it's close
It's been a busy start to the year beginning with having Swiftbiscuit show me how it's done on the kart circuit - even if he didn't bring is own racing boots, gloves or helmet from Miami. The marshals came up to him afterwards and mentioned their awe of his racing line. Total focus and precision - awesome to try and chase through the corners.

(I've also knocked a couple of seconds of my lap times and made it into the elite class since)

My birthday last month was pleasantly uneventful - although managed to get another kart race in on the weekend - there was one less birthday card this year which forced poignant reminder of the events of Jan and Feb.

Dad didn't tell us until it was too late and even though we knew he was ill, he didn't let on about how much pain he was in until right near the end. That was kind of his way of doing things (i.e. refusing to listen to anyone else). It didn't really sink in that he was beyond the point of no return until I got a call from the care home telling me he'd been taken into hospital.

We'll scatter his ashes in his home county of Cornwall this year so he can enjoy the countryside and coast he came to know as a boy. A lesson to all of us to make sure we take care of ourselves and always keep talking. Every hill is a victory in potentia after all.

There's too much to do on the information assurance front and I've re-focused my efforts significantly. The last two months or so has been flat out - no thanks to laptop problems and a 192 mile round-trip commute. This week should allow me to break the surface again whilst migrating corporate accounts to both a different package and different accountants.

All whilst studying for my CEH & CISSP...

I've made significant progress on the spam front too - from hundreds of spam emails a day down to between 20-100 is a big plus. I spend far less time trawling through nonsense looking for potential business or emails from friends & relatives. It's like whack-a-mole though...you get a domain disabled or an ASA complaint upheld against one and another pops up. Eventually the pattern will become obvious as individuals are already being tracked.

One thing I have noticed quite consistently is the attitude of spammers and their lawyers (with a handful of notable exceptions) - I'm becoming less and less surprised by the lack of knowledge surrounding DPA and PECR, as well as case precedent such as Vidal Hall vs. Google. I'm not suggesting an ambulance chasing model is ideal but it seems like the regulators are being restrained whilst the data traders and spammers are not.

Until the balance is restored however, ProtonMail, EFF and WWF will be getting more donations from me after winning or settling my cases.

Hopefully ICO's GDPR education campaign will keep momentum up as it's vitally important to drag the private sector into the current decade (before it finishes).

Fingers crossed that the EU referendum passes with a Stay / Remain vote and we can all get on with commerce again; as well as a wider, considered approach on privacy and information assurance in future.