Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Sting Of Chlorine


We often take the kids swimming and one of the pools is in Harbone. Facilities are good, kids have fun and we get to do some lengths too. However I made the mistake of buying some replacement goggles from the pool shop in the leisure centre - leading to a standoff in the reception area.

During the swim the goggles leaked and no matter what grip or band settings I tried they just kept leaking. After we'd finished I took them back to the reception desk and explained what the fault was (I just wanted either a replacement or a refund).

However the staff claimed that they could not refund the value of the goggles as they were not defective, and that they were not obliged to do so. I pointed out that my statutory rights as a consumer, plus those of standing legislation meant that as I was not happy with the product I could get a full refund. I also pointed out that I would not move from the desk and allow them to serve anyone else until the matter was resolved.

Whilst the staff went into the office for a huddle - I felt a little sorry for them having to deal with their employer's misguided principals - and the queue behind me grew. This is a good way of ensuring that retailers acknowledge their responsibilities and speeding a resolution; it's too easy to email or write letters and take no ownership or involvement due to the dissociative nature of words on paper.

However I got caught out - distracted whilst updating the Twatterverse on minute-by-minute changes to the situation (as if anyone was actually reading my twitter feed), the manager asked me to step over to another area to talk about the resolution.... fell for it.

The spell broken and the other waiting customers started getting to the desk. Bargaining position lost and hat tipped for being bettered.

All I could get was a credit note for the value of the goggles bought that day and the heartfelt promise of a phone call when they had the goggles in stock next. Maybe they're still waiting for the next batch? Either way I'll go to Amazon in future - even if I can't stand at the sales desk and stop other people getting served before they sort out my purchase.